Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chive-Tarragon Deviled Eggs

As the weather warms up, so must the style of deviled eggs. Spring herbs have sprung, so I was glad to use a couple in this recipe. Plus, it was good to get the taste of Becky's Nasty Deviled Eggs out of my mouth, even if it was just a simple, light recipe. There was a lot of stuff going on in this recipe, some interesting ingredients, and I really liked that I could use some fresh chives from my herb garden.

I prefer that deviled eggs be more substantive. I like bacon in them, maybe some other meat as heft. And these eggs are definitely light, almost refreshing. I didn't think they would be particularly well-received, but my tasting panel gobbled them up pretty quickly.

Here is the recipe:

6 hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
few drops hot sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
additional chives for garnish

1. Mash egg yolks.
2. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, herbs, salt, and mustard.
3. Fill egg white halves with yolk mixture.
4. Garnish with additional finely chopped chives
5. Allow to chill for at least 1 hour before serving.


Above: adding the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce

Above: adding the chives, tarragon, salt, and dry mustard


Above: the finished product, with chives as garnish

So, in the end, this was a pretty good recipe. The lemon juice gave the eggs a little bit of a refreshing flavor. The herbs worked well in this season. The slight hot sauce was there for just a LITTLE bite. And the mustard made the flavor just a little more complex. These aren't the best recipe I've tried, but they are pretty good.

Here are the scores:

Overall: 65 out of 100
Texture: 14 out of 100
Flavor: 14 out of 100
Uniqueness: 12 out of 100
Appearance: 11 out of 100
Ease of preparation: 14 out of 100

Comments?

No comments: